“To exhibit, restore, preserve and investigate Menorca’s cultural heritage, which goes from ancient history to the present day, at the same time as sharing this legacy with both the Menorcan and visiting public, via specific activities, in order to contribute to the knowledge of Menorca’s history and become a symbol of its wealth.”
The Museum’s mission is to exhibit, restore, preserve and investigate Menorca’s material and immaterial cultural heritage from its ancient history to the present day and encourage cultural, social and educational activities in order to share its entire legacy.
The Museum has a public service role, open to participation and debate, as well as collaborating with other institutions.
The Museums programme focuses on providing the public with access to its collections and resources, as well as increase its understanding and recognition of the whole of Menorca’s heritage, and increase both national and international interest.
The Museum is the point of reference for highlighting and sharing Menorca’s patrimony and cultural landscape. It is home to the island’s history and all its possible collections: archaeology, ethnography, art, etc.
To become the leading museum in the investigation, conservation and communication of Menorca’s historical patrimony and be recognised as a point of reference in the management of patrimony when it comes to highlighting, promotion and education.
Commitment to public service
The values of public service, sensitivity and respect for cultural goods are an important part of our commitment to the society we serve and with whom we want to encourage discussion and reflection.
Being modern, dynamic and creative are the axis´s upon which the Museum works. Always paying attention to what is going on around us and at international level in order to adapt the Museums activities to present times.
Commitment to the Menorcan society
The Museum has a clear formative and educational focus, which aims to increase its visitor’s knowledge and include society in its educational task by encouraging a debate and discussion about Menorcan heritage.
The Museum would like to increase its collaboration with social groups and other cultural institutions in order to be a contributing factor to the increase in activities destined to encourage debates and analysis.
Commitment to quality
Corporate social responsibility forms part of the Museum of Menorca’s strategy; offering quality and stable employment, a pleasant and stimulating environment encouraging involvement and team work. The values, such as diversity, freedom and respect amongst professionals, are the key to offering an effective and efficient service.
Commitment to the citizens
The Museums users are assisted according to each of their request. Identifying their needs and establishing the conditions necessary in order to meet them is a task taken on by the institution as part of its aim to support equality, respect for diversity and the integration of all citizens with physical or mental disabilities.
- To be at the centre for the interpretation of Menorca’s history, its movable and immovable heritage and of its associated resources in order to join efforts to promote its contents with the purpose of educating and recognising its own identity.
- To become a dynamic, multidisciplinary and current platform about the history of Menorca.
- To provide a vision of the history, understood as a wide and multidiscipline concept in which we can go deeper in all its dimensions: cultural, scientific, technological, political, anthropological, economic, social, etc.
- To be a dynamic element towards the improvement and broadening of Menorca´s touristic and cultural offer.
- Network collaborations between agents, entities and organisms connected to the research, added value and communication of patrimony’s.
- To correctly document, study and manage the movable heritage, which is in the Museum’s custody, and enable its access and promotion.
- To promote, preserve and interpret Menorca’s cultural and historical landscape.
- Improve the Menorcan populations’ knowledge of the Museum.
- To present Menorca’s history in an innovative and attractive way. Guide the Museum’s discourse in order to make it appealing to all types of public: individuals, groups (touristic, amateurs, children, specialized) and families.
- To guarantee the development of different levels of interest and comprehension.
- To promote the touristic experience at the Museum and associate the discourse given at the centre with patrimonial elements dispersed around the island.
- To create activities and exercises that offer complimentary services and allow the maximum use of the institution´s equipment.
- To be socially responsible.